12 March 2017

LEAF Battery Repair

Unfortunately, my LEAF suddenly lost 30km of range (122km on a full charge, down to 90km) and regen was disabled until there was about 4 bars remaining. About September 2016, my 8th bar disappeared. Also, I noticed the energy usage increased, which is probably due to regen not working.

I took my LEAF back to the dealer and they found three modules were lower than others. The modules were removed along with the modules either side and run through the machine (cycles the module). The nine modules took five hours each. The modules were put back into the pack, which was then cycled twice (full to empty).

On further inspection, another five modules were found to be lower than the others. So the five and their neighbours (another ten) were removed and run through the machine, which took almost three weeks. The modules were put back into the pack, which was then cycled twice, but they did not raise their level to the others. Nissan replaced the five modules, which took two months to arrive from the U.S.A.

Once the new modules arrived, they were installed and the pack was cycled twice. Unfortunately it did not bring back my range, but it did fix the regen. My LEAF had been at the dealer for six months, so I had the 3G TCU upgrade installed and also replaced the front struts (had rusted).

Nissan ordered me a replacement battery, which will take approximately two months to arrive. So I can drive my LEAF in the mean time. Which is good, because the dealer has very limited space in the service department, and I miss driving electric. I was quite surprised how much I missed my LEAF. The old N16 pulsar still drives nicely, but the engine noise causes the radio to sound distorted, even when I play with the settings. Also the transmission of an I.C.E. car really annoys me, especially at round abouts. Petrol is very expensive and there is always a long line at the service station near me, especially if the price is low. Insert more whinging here. I definitely will never purchase an I.C.E. car again.

No comments:

Post a Comment